Are you tired of following restrictive diets that promise quick results, but leave you feeling deprived and unmotivated? If so, it's time to try the 80/20 method, a balanced approach to health that focuses on eating healthy, whole foods 80% of the time and allowing yourself some treats the other 20%.
The 80/20 method is not about counting calories or strictly following a specific meal plan. Instead, it's about creating a healthy and sustainable eating pattern that works for you. It's a simple and flexible way of eating that can help you achieve optimal health and well-being without sacrificing your favorite foods.
The principle behind the 80/20 method is that you should aim to eat healthy, whole foods, most of the time while allowing yourself some treats in moderation. This approach not only helps to ensure that your body is getting the nutrients it needs to function at its best, but it also allows you to enjoy the foods you love without feeling guilty.
So, how do you apply the 80/20 rule to your diet? First, focus on eating healthy whole foods such as fruits and veggies, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats, like avocado and nuts. Try to avoid processed foods and added sugars as much as possible, as these can be detrimental to your health and well-being.
Next, allow yourself some treats in moderation. The specific foods that fall into each category might differ depending on your goals, but generally, your diet should comprise primarily whole foods. The key is to strike a balance between healthy eating and indulging in treats. For example, you could enjoy a small piece of dark chocolate after dinner or have a glass of wine with your meal.
It's important to note that the 80/20 rule isn't a traditional weight loss diet. However, if your diet is currently comprised of a lot of processed foods, making the shift towards whole foods can bring about significant results. Rather than focusing solely on weight loss, the 80/20 method encourages you to focus on building healthy eating habits and a healthy mindset that will last you a lifetime.
Remember that while the 80/20 rule isn't restrictive, you should be careful how you divide this ratio. Some people prefer that their 80% is five days of the week, and then they can use the 20% for their weekends. However, the goal of this rule is to build healthy eating habits. Not only is forcing yourself to eat completely clean for the entire workweek quite restrictive, but allowing yourself to eat completely unhealthy for the entire weekend will make it difficult to reach your healthy lifestyle goals.
This method is all about balance. You should eat whole foods every day, to get the nutrients your body needs to function properly. While treats are okay in moderation, the majority of your calories should always come from whole foods. If you do decide to divide your 80/20 rule by the weekdays, remember that you should still have nutritious food on those "20%" days, in addition to your treats.
Overall, the 80/20 method is an excellent rule of thumb for building healthy eating habits and creating a positive relationship with food. It's a refreshing change from the traditional restrictive diets, allowing you to create a healthy and sustainable way of eating that works for you. So go ahead, enjoy your meals and treats in moderation, and remember that balance is key to a healthy lifestyle.
What other areas of your life do you think this method could be applied to?
I am inviting you to join my free Vibrant Health Facebook Group to join the conversation.
Leave a Reply.
take control of your health.
Connect with a board certified coach to help you succeed with health changes.